People wonder why I didn’t self-publisher rather than going with Morgan James. Some articles discuss the idea that Morgan James authors are conned into using Morgan James but I think that’s completely false. I chose Morgan James for a few reasons. I’m going to go over the benefits and drawbacks of going with Morgan James rather than CreateSpace, as I did consider this carefully. This is informal review of my experience so far.
The main benefits over CreateSpace:
- The team is helpful with pushing everything along and educating you on the process. They have the patience to work with first time authors, like myself.
- They have the ability to place you on the shelves in book stores. I can’t speak for if I get placed, but I’ll keep you updated.
- They understand internal formatting – something I had no experience with.
- There’s nothing worse than telling someone you wrote a book, then telling them you don’t have a publisher.
- They have been used by top marketers like Joel Comm, E. Brian Rose and Russell Brunson, for a reason.
- They have connections with reputable fulfillment centres that can be sure to integrate with your sales funnel.
The main drawbacks:
- New authors must pre-purchase books. After you’re published once, you don’t have to do this again.
- Updating your manuscript costs money.
People also ask me why I went with Morgan James instead of going with a literary agent who could hunt up a big publishing house like Penguin or any of its imprints.
The main benefits:
- I can sell copies through my own channels at a different price than the stores.
- When selling through my own channels, I keep a larger percentage of the sales revenue.
- They can get you to market faster than traditional publishers. My niche is based on technology which is time sensitive.
The main drawbacks:
- Placement in bookstores is not guaranteed.
I think Morgan James has it’s place in the publishing space. It may not be right for everyone, but it was right for me. So far the first 6 months has been a good experience and I hope I can say the same 6 months from now. Talk soon.