Being in digital marketing since I was in high school back in 2009, I’ve hired over 400 people online. Lately, I’ve been tasked with building a social media team. Many of the positions are open to any country, which make it easier to fill positions like video editor or graphics editor. However, some positions require a presence in US or Canada, particularly for reaching local audience on platforms where location of posting matter.
Here are two of my latest job posts on Upwork. The first one includes international applicants which when removed, only brought 2 applicants. The second one brought 5 applicants. 4 from the US and 1 from Canada.
The requirements for this position were fairly straight forward.
- At least 6 months of experience with Canva
- Strong understanding of the TikTok platform and its unique features
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational skills
- Must be based in the United States
There are no education or certifications required to work this position.
It regularly surprises me how few applicants social media positions yield. The narrative I hear is “I need more schooling” but in reality, the only positions with requirements like that are corporate or government positions that have more red tape than productivity. Canva and TikTok are new skills in the 2023 workforce. They’re uncommon, especially because the people who understand it best are not looking for work.